Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm a Believer

These lyrics started running through my head Friday:

And then I saw her face
Now I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind
("I'm a Believer" by Smash Mouth)

Why? Because Friday I qualified for my first USANA commission check! In fact, I passed the first level, "Sharer" and qualified straight to the second level, "Believer." To top that, I was at a tech conference when I got a call to place a last-minute order that put me over the top. I didn't even need an office. Incidentally, because I've had three solid days of technical instruction on 20 different topics, plus two 8-hour drives, the tone of this post will be less humorous - only because I'm tired. Thankfully, I had a Rev3 energy drink to keep me awake on my way home.

You may recall that in my first attempt back in '97, I didn't do so well. Since then, I've learned to start treating this as a true business. A true business needs more than one person, and this time I have support from my USANA upline, in particular Lebby Salinas who you can find on Twitter here.

Here's your first lesson in sales - timing is everything. A million things happen in someone's day, and me approaching them about health issues will get the same priority as their choice for lunch: do they go out of their way to have a healthy salad, or are they in a hurry and just get a burger? Lots of people go 50 years eating burgers and running around in a hurry, never giving their health a second thought. I'm looking for the people who have stopped to think and realize there's a gap in their preventive healthcare plan. Which brings me to the next question:

Why am I doing this?

Why, if I have a great, well-paying job, am I selling vitamins? It goes far beyond that. First, I've said before that I see a tangible benefit from the USANA products. I believe almost everyone around me can benefit from them, because I see things in a new way: There's no reason for people (adults and kids) to get sick every week by whatever's "going around." The immune system is under constant assault like an under-supplied army. Give the troops more of the tools they need, and they'll win the war faster. With a more powerful immune system, a cold may either not start or will last half as long as it would otherwise. If I had unlimited money, I'd give these away to anyone that wanted them. TINSTAAFL.

Second, stuff happens. While I'm still doing the tech stuff that I love doing, the business will make a profit, and be another stream of income should the unthinkable happen. Through no fault of any one person or company, people simply lose their jobs. The recent economy troubles reminded me how fragile my position is. I've worked far too hard to resort to being a greeter at Wal-Mart because all the tech positions have dried up and I've got to have income immediately. Think about it, do you know anyone who's in a job they hate because they had to take it urgently rather than spend time to find the one they would love? Send them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment